Certified Specialist - Family Law
Newport Beach Spousal Support Attorneys
Spousal support or spousal maintenance, also known as "alimony",
consists of a court order to one of the spouses that requires them to
assist the other financially, after the dissolution of the marriage. This
financial assistance can be of extended or temporary duration.
If the marriage has lasted more than ten years the court will generally
consider an extended support petition, but if it is less than that, usually
support will be provided for half of the term of the marriage. In other
words, if a couple were married 6 years the spousal support would continue
for 3 years.
If you need assistance with a spousal support matter, The Law Offices of
Marc E. Mitzner may be able to assist you. Contact our experienced
Newport Beach divorce attorney to schedule a
free evaluation of your case.
Determining Factors in Spousal Support
Some basic factors involved are the length of the marriage and the gross
or net income of each spouse.
Other factors the courts will take into account in their decision may include
- Is one spouse the primary caretaker of dependent or disabled adult children?
- Does a spouse have a court ordered support obligation that is pre-existing?
- Does a spouse have court ordered debt obligations -particularly those regarding
- Does a spouse have unusual needs?
- What is the age or health of each spouse?
- Did a spouse gave up a career, or career opportunities and / or otherwise
supported the career of the other spouse?
- Did one spouse receive a disproportionate share of the marital assets?
- Are there unusual tax consequences?
- Are there other circumstances that may make application of these considerations
Did the parties agree otherwise (i.e.
- What was the standard of living during the marriage?
Only after a careful review of these, and any other factors which might
be pertinent in your particular case, can an equitable spousal support
settlement be reached.
Call Our Newport BeachSpousal Support Attorney Today
To obtain the most beneficial decision in your case, it is imperative to
have a committed and aggressive divorce lawyer in Newport Beach to help
fight for you and advise you in any spousal support or alimony matter.